Monday, March 19, 2007

12K Across The Bay

Each year Sacramento's Team In Training Chapter loads up charter busses and heads out at 5am to run the 12k Across The Bay from Sausalito to the waterfront in San Francisco. It's a great race over the Golden Gate with time afterwards for a little leisure time before piling back on the bus and heading back to Sacramento. Shea and I have gone a few times before always enjoying the race, the friends, and of course the traditional Irish Coffee at the Buena Vista when the race is over.

This year my friend Becky asked if I was going to go to take pictures, getting an early start on the $6,200 fundraising goal we'll have for the triathlon team this year. It seemed just a little strange to put Ian on a bus without seatbelts or a carseat. It just doesn't feel legal or safe! After a call to the bus company who assured us it is "the safest wheeled transportation" we reluctantly agreed to hop on the bus and head over with "the team."

Getting him up and out of the house at 4:45am was not much fun, but the instant he saw the bus he was happy! I think he was just a little overwhelmed with the people, the seats, and the sounds! The bus company had advised us to sit in the last row so he could have more room if we needed it. I was less than excited about that idea as the last row is also by the restroom...never a nice place on a bus! Lucky for us we were on a brand new 2007 giganto "take your grandmother" gambling in style bus. Plush, clean, BIG and nonsmelly!!

After only a short outburst of crying he slept a little and we arrived in San Francisco faster and easier than any car trip I've ever taken. It was a nice semi foggy mild morning -- perfect for pictures. The wet overly long grass on my preferred hill in Fort Mason Park was not perfect for his little shoes so he spent a bit more time than he wanted in the stroller, but was a good sport about it. Once runners started to arrive he was distracted enough to forget where he was sitting as he clapped for each of them! After about 45 minutes we realized he was also saying "good job" in Ian-ese.

He got to cheer for Uncle Justin who sped by pretty quickly looking at Ian and not the camera!
The highlight of his day was definitely "Auntie Becky" stopping her race long enough to grab his hand and take him with her the last 1/4 mile of the race. It was a pretty funny site! (although I have to wonder what it did to her race time!) I wish I could have been at the finish line to see his face. We finished off the day with a little lunch Ian style -- outside with pickles and french fries, ice cream, and a stroll along the water front in hopes he would nap. No luck!

We hopped back on the bus after lunch and as soon as the engine started he was out! He didn't move the entire ride home and for about two hours after we got home. Poor little guy was tired out!

No Buena Vista Irish coffee for us this year, but it was a great day!

1 comment:

mumzy said...

What a great day.And your first bus ride how cool was that..Uncle Justin looks pretty good, and how fun to get to run with Aunt Becky.
Love You


Related Posts with Thumbnails