Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Values

I am low maintenance.

I don't wear makeup. I only get my hair cut about every 6 months when it starts to bug me or just look gross. I don't need a lot of things and am comfortable in a small home.

I believe that we should leave the world a better place. I don't shop for entertainment and try to use things until they can't be used anymore. I believe that my car should be efficient and if I can walk instead of drive, I will.

I want my son to go to public school because I want to support the institution of public education, even if that may mean he doesn't get "the best" education attainable. I want him to be happy. I want him to be surrounded by people who are different than him and experience things that help him realize how fortunate he is. I believe that what I teach him is just as important as the teachers he will share with 30 other kids a day.

I believe that a vegetarian diet is best for the environment and for my body, but I would never push that upon anyone. I believe that we should live in a space that is adequate for our needs and not the largest available space possible.

I believe that we should know our neighbors. I believe that people are good. I believe that we fear what we do not know and we do not understand.
*************************************************
So why the rant?

Shea and I are at a values crossroad.

In our quest for a home (in this falsely labelled buyer's market) I cringe at the discovery that we could move to the suburbs and live in a 5 bedroom 2 bath house with a 40 minute daily commute and have over 200 home choices

We know where we want to live, we know why we want to live there. We know it will be smaller. We know it will be more expensive. We know it won't be easy to find.

And once again, we are reminded that it is expensive and sometimes difficult to live a life dedicated to what we value.

But it is the right thing...right?

3 comments:

Michelle Filo said...

got your values, agree with them and admire you for them. I am not sure what you meant at the end though, are you and Shea dissagreeing on what to buy? It looks like you agree. I am praying that you do find a place soon and that it is a perfect place for you and your family, a "happily ever after" place :)

Night Man said...

I think it's a question of value, not just money...if the disagreement is on whether you should a) spend less money on a bigger, easier-found house in the suburbs or b) spend more money on a more difficult to find house that fits your values. If it comes down to money...cost is only part of the issue. I.e. purchasing a cheap but sweatshop-produced shirt instead of a pricier shirt made by a company that supports a living wage.

Don't go to the suburbs. Along with local news and pre-made breakfast skillets with dehydrated eggs included, they represent what's wrong with society.

Sorry for the rant. I'm ready for spring break to begin :).

Heather said...

I also have and agree with your values.. except for the vegetarian thing but like you, that is your choice and I would never try to convince you otherwise.

You have to live with yourself and your values are what make you either happy or not happy with your decisions. Be happy! when you find the right place for your family, trust yourself, you know your values and you will know whether it is right or not for you.

Chin up and enjoy the search. It is supposed to be fun. You aren't going to do it everyday.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails