Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Unedited Moments



Watching 2,500 people swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, and run 26.2 miles is an inspiring experience. Watching through my lens was AWESOME. Not in the overused word way but in the truly breathtaking way. I found myself shooting people I didn't know because the emotion was so raw and real and present.


I found myself playing with light and angles because the moment needed to be remembered.

Last night we had friends over to help celebrate my brother's achievement and I showed them all 558 photos I took. Unedited. None deleted. Just put them out there for the world. The blurry ones. The badly composed ones. Everything.


The pictures captured the moment. For me they help me relive the inspiration and emotion I felt at the time. For others they were able to experience the event from my angle, including the people who stepped in front of the camera as the shutter clicked and the blur of runners in front of the lens.

They didn't care. No one was there to critique the moment. They were there to relive it. Enjoy it. Revel in it. And that's what we did.
What are the moments of your life that can be left unedited?

3 comments:

Kristin Rutten said...

Love this, Katrina... great photos (even unedited!!) and the journaling is even better. What a cool thing to be able to experience and then remember this way! :)

myra said...

Some moments should be preserved just as they are. You my friend, were the ultimate photojournalist that day. Recording and remembering. Don't delete!

Carol said...

This is truly photo journalism at it's best. Completely raw and true and wow, so emotional. I love that picture of the man holding the boy. Wow. Katrina you are amazing and to be honest I bet out of the 500 odd pictures you took, there would be a very very VERY high percentage of good ones.

As for what moments of my life that can be left unedited. My wedding day. I will take it all, the tears, the excitement, the crystal clear shots to remember it by and the blurry ones too. I wouldn't change a thing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails