Friday, February 18, 2011

How I Started My 365 Project, 1,093 Days Ago

Today is day 1,093 of my 365 project. Almost three years.

Perhaps you've started. Perhaps you've stopped. Maybe you've thought about it, but are afraid of the commitment. Every day for an entire year can be daunting.

How did I start?

I did not begin with 365 in mind. In 2008, a group of friends said, let's try doing a photo a day for 30 days. Seemed fun. 3o days, no problem. And so it began. 30 days of taking photos and sharing them with each other. We were excited and supportive and in love with photography.



Day 30 arrived and several of us couldn't stop. We just kept going. 30 days had created a habit we were now addicted to. Seeing the details. Trying things in ways we hadn't before. Documenting our lives in a daily photographic journal.

30 days, 7 days, 42 days, or 365 days, whatever you commitment. You become present. Present to the details in the world around you. Present to the craft and the art of photography.

365 is a blueprint of my life with highs and lows. Moments of clarity followed by moments of uncertainty. Happiness and sadness. Focus on the big picture and moments of minutia. I see it in my photos and I've felt it in the process of creating them.

It starts with one day. One photo. And you take it from there. We all begin with 1.

What's your number?

3 comments:

Sarah said...

1,510 (unless my math is wrong)
I started in 2007
http://www.photoblog.com/EveryDayPhoto

I don't always post the photo every night... but I try not to get too far behind :-) (as you can see, I'm currently behind! :-O )

Carmen said...

I started on January 1, 2010. I decided to keep going and do it one more year, maybe two or three more, lol...I love taking pictures!

Kimberly said...

730. I did my project for two years. I didn't start with that number in mind, however my goal was to complete a year. I loved it and hope to do it again, in some form, again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails