Settings and camera mode aren't as important for taking this photo as getting really close to his fist to achieve the fun distortion.
- Grab your widest lens (smallest mm # on the lens). I used my Canon 17-40mm L.
- Shoot in whatever mode you like, even Auto will work for this!
- If you choose a wide aperture (small f/ number) his face will blur.
- If you choose a narrow aperture (large f/number) more of his face will be in focus.
- Have your Valentine outstretch his fist, a bit to the side so his face isn't blocked.
- Get as close to the fist as you can while still maintaining focus.
- Shoot again, just in case!
A quick two cuts along his hand, the addition of a Tootsie Roll Lollipop and Valentine's Day cards are done! He loves them. I love them. And we're done!
I think he was pleased!