Here's the recipe! Keep in mind it is a bit denser than typical cake, but is super healthy! You can eat it without guilt :) The recipe is from the book Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure.
2 cups whole wheat flout
1 cup (or less) sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup vanilla oat or nonfat soy milk (I used nonfat soy milk)
1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons flaxseed meal mixed with 6 tablespoons water (egg replacer, I grind my own flaxseeds for the meal)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix the first four ingredients in a medium bowl
3. Mix the remaining ingredients in a large bowl
4. Pour dry ingredients into liquid and stir by hand or beat until no lumps remain (easy by hand)
5. Spread evenly between two 9-inch round cake pans or one 8x13 inch baking pan
6. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean and cake doesn't feel sticky to the touch
7. Cool before removing from pan.
I topped mine with Chocolate Sauce (and snuck a little between the layers)
3 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon cornstarch or arrowroot
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a saucepan, combine all ingredients. Mix well and cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly.
This sauce is decidant!! It would be great to dip strawberries...or well...a spoon!
You can find similar recipes at Fat Free Vegan.