Wednesday, December 29, 2010

10 Ideas for A Photo of the Day Project

Are you thinking about starting a photo a day project or continuing from last year? I started my photo a day project on February 28, 2008. It started as a 30 day challenge with this photo.



I've learned a few things both about photography and keeping up with a 365 project in the three years I've been collecting a photo a day.

Here are the things that have helped me most along the way.

1. Keep it real and simple and don't be afraid to capture the ordinary and the simple.  Photograph life as it happens, naturally and spontaneously. Those are the memories I will treasure most. Sometimes it is not about a perfect photo, just a moment of life.

2. Include photo walks in your 365, with others, by yourself, with inspiration lists. Just get out and look for things that inspire you. Or just walk around your house.


3. Collect and review your photos. Looking through my photos, reading the stories I've written about them and seeing them together is great inspiration to keep the project going!


4. Scrapbooking your photos? Keep it super simple. It is a BIG project. I'll post more on that tomorrow!

5. Hang in through January and February, they are the hardest months to photograph. Low light. Mostly indoors. They can be tough.  Only let your mood get in the way a little.

6. Look in unexpected places for you photo of the day. Look up, down, around, behind. Shoot the same thing on different days with a different point of view.

7. Know that somedays selecting your photo of the day will be easy, others not so.  It may even be the first photo you take.

8. Get others involved. Whether you join a flickr group or ask people to vote for their favorites or blog your photos, having a group around you can make 365 a lot more fun!



9. Try something different. Choose a different setting. Try macro. Get off Auto. Change it up.

10. Enjoy the process. You are documenting your life. THAT is the most important thing.

What have you learned doing 365? What keeps you from trying it, if you haven't?


**********************
If you'd like a few more pointers as well as a LONG list of inspiration, check out my tutorial Give It Your Best Shot No. 02: Capturing A Photo A Day

5 comments:

Raylene said...

Thanks for the inspiration! This will be my third full year going for Project 365. I love it because it helps me keep the camera going, I learn new things along the way, and I publish my photos in a book at the end of each year. It is a really interesting way to capture life over the year. Great project!

Tammy Robbins said...

Thanks, Katrina! This is very helpful. I'm playing to start January 1st.

rhonda said...

thanks for the tips!!! i want to start the 365 next year. i got through april, it was mostly my son, and got bored...plus ran out of time lol
but i have more plans for next year. i want to photograph as much as possible.

dille2@cableone.net said...

Keep it real and simple - great words for 2011!

Barb said...

Thanks for the advice, I have just started my 365 project for the first time and hope I can keep going for the year.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails