Sunday, March 14, 2010

Self Portraits: Who I Am At This Moment

Four years ago we sold our first house. We lived two hundred miles away from it and hadn't been living in it for several years. I found a realtor through recommendations and the web. I had only seen photos of her. When we finally met face to face, I wasn't certain I was talking to the same person.

She prompted a need for me to capture a real photo of me at this moment. Real. Ok, that frightens me. I'd rather you see a touched up photo in perfect light at the perfect angle reducing all of the extra me. Of course the perfectly styled hair, made up, dressed up version of me doesn't really exist so if we met, you'd just walk right by.

So here you have it.
180mm | ISO 400 | f/7.1 | ss 1/125
The real me.

It was the assignment first on the March Photo Walk With Me list. It drew fear to the hearts of all that read the list.

I knew what I wanted to try before I entered the alley. I wanted to stand at the opening of the alley, camera on tripod, blurring the rest of the roadway behind me. Since the alley dips down and then rolls back up it would create a nice background. I set my 70-200mm lens up on a tripod and had my husband stand where I was going to be. With remote in hand, I moved to his spot and clicked a few times. After viewing my first few attempts, I readjusted and shot a couple more. This was the ninth shot of nine.

So now, I have a real photo of me. Ian will know what I looked like on March 13, 2010. Yes, I could look at the photo and find a million things I don't like about myself. But today, I'm ignoring all of that. Today I'm just going to enjoy who I am at this very moment.

************************
There is still time to register for The Very Basics: How To Use Your Camera. I'd love to see you in class!

18 comments:

Aino said...

Brava, Katrina!! I am so loving that attitude right now. Just what I needed to see and hear. And by the way - you look GREAT! Love that happy smile of yours!

Heather said...

Beautiful! This is the Katrina that I recognize & cherish meeting in person. Great job! and you look fantastic!

Monybean said...

and you are beautiful!

*Paula* said...

Hello happy and smiling Katrina! It looks just like beautiful you :)

Unknown said...

a beautiful self-portrait -- very natural and happy.

Lee said...

You look wonderful, and I admire greatly the courage it took to capture :)

Anonymous said...

Gareat pictures, that is really the pretty you.
Love U

Dana N said...

Even though you may find "a million things" you don't like in the photo, I think it's beautiful. When Ian grows up he will love it because it's the real you that knows and loves.

Tami said...

i love the "real" you! You are beautiful and your genuineness and shines right through this computer! Also, a great photo :D

Tami said...

i love the "real" you! You are beautiful and your genuineness and shines right through this computer! Also, a great photo :D

dille2@cableone.net said...

You are absolutely beautiful and you are just beaming!!!

farabee said...

Well-written and lovely pictures. That's "Katrina"...as we know her!
Great idea!

Christi said...

Lovely. Signed up for class. Just waiting for the forum to open up.

mugsbigsis said...

I think you look fantastic! Good for you. You've inspired me to try and do the same. :O)

mugsbigsis said...

I think you look fantastic! Good for you. You've inspired me to try and do the same. :O)

mugsbigsis said...

I think you look fantastic! Good for you. You've inspired me to try and do the same. :O)

Mary Ann said...

Love this post - if I had a sister, she'd look exactly like you!

Michele Barbalet said...

I love the way you set this photo up. The road behind you ...ingenious!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails