Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Karate At 430

I still haven't packed. Laundry is going in the washer. Dishwasher is running. House is reasonably clean. The "Thursday is pajama day" and "karate at 430" sign has been posted on the front door. I'll throw clothes  in a bag tomorrow morning as I gather the last few things I need before I jump on the early train.

Leaving home seems to get more and more difficult. All of the loose ends that need to be tied up. Remembering the things I'll need while I'm gone. Grabbing notes for my chat on Saturday, hoping all goes okay from my mom's computer. Taking care of commitments I know I won't be able to get to for the next week or so. Hoping Shea remembers to water my seedlings and check the tomatoes for aphids.

I'm headed to my parent's house, the place I call home. Thursday while Ian has pajama day at school, she will be getting a knee replacement. She's a tough cookie, but I can't help worrying about the process. She's walked a marathon, raised five kids, and has cooked more holiday meals than I can count; this should be nothing!

So I'm off tomorrow. I'll miss Ian's first time wearing his Gi for karate. I know there will be more opportunities to see it, but the first time is making me a little sad. But, I get sad everytime I need to leave home. It's strange, I know.

It leaves me understanding why my mom never did much for herself when we were kids, I can't imagine the logistics of leaving home with five kids to get organized!

On a thankful note, I did get to see his trial class last night. And that smile, completely worth it! It was just as big as last year's, but this time I think he's really ready.

50mm | ISO 400 | f/1.4 | ss 1/640

In hindsight, I wish I'd bumped up the aperture a bit and used a narrower aperture. But I'll take this! Sometimes life just needs to provide a snapshot.

1 comment:

Esther Andrews said...

My father had his knee replaced a few months ago. He is 75. He wonders what all the fuss is about. His knee is so much better now. Good luck with your mother, but my advice is not to worry!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails