Sunday, January 10, 2010

Think About The Future When Snapping The Present

We've had a wonderful weekend visit with my mom. I'm sad to see her go home tomorrow and sad to lose the extra set of helping hands. Not only have I had a great time with her, I feel a bit like I've had a vacation myself. She's upstairs now giving the silly little boy a bath and getting him ready for bed. DECADENCE.


I didn't take a lot of photos today. No reason. We had a bit of a lazy day and the weather is still overcast and a bit gloomy. I captured some breakfast shots because it was pretty.



But my photo of the day I shot with different intentions.


We are a Scrabble playing family! I can spell more two letter words than anyone could possibly use in their lifetime of vocabulary. I know what qat means, and play it as often as it presents itself. I learned from my Grandmother. When I lived in the same town, played every Saturday with my mom and sister. And now, every chance we can, we get the board out and play together. So today when decided to play in the late afternoon light, I knew what I wanted my photo of the day to be. 


My family and friends are so used to the camera being out, I get a slight grumble sometimes, but that's it. I shot the board, the tiles. But this had to be my photo of the day.



In the midst of the game. Forming a word. Probably taking her closer to widening the gap between our scores. 


I know when Ian is grown, this photo will mean more than pancakes. This photo will bring us back not only to a day of Scrabble, but to so many days spent rearranging seven letters in search of the triple word score. The hands that hold so much history and are, above all, my family.


Do you have a photo of the present you know will mean more than most in the future? Do you consider the future in selecting your photo of this very day?

12 comments:

kim {the non-mom blogger} said...

I SO wish that I had a picture of my Gramma's hands. I distinctly remember her hands, her nails, everything about them. This gives me a lot to think about, thank you!

Kimberly
http://yeptheyareallmine.blogspot.com/

Carol said...

this is stunning ... it made me gasp!

Anonymous said...

oboy, do i recognize those hands and i'll bet the wheels were turning. wish i had been there.

helena said...

fabulous photo of the hands - so evocative of a person

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photographs, and lovely reminder about what is important in the long run.

humel said...

Oh, my - I got shivers looking at this photo :-) Just beautiful!

PS Thanks so much for your kind comments on my blog, and for signing up to my Project 365 MckLinky! I'm honoured x

Amy said...

Yes, the scrabble photo is fabulous - so meaningful! Yummy breakky though ;-)

Kristin Zecchinelli said...

i love mama hands. the hands that cared for you all these years. no hands like your mama's hands.

thanks for sharing this on ss today.

Kristin Zecchinelli said...

i love mama hands. the hands that cared for you all these years. no hands like your mama's hands.

thanks for sharing this on ss today.

Kristin Zecchinelli said...

i love mama hands. the hands that cared for you all these years. no hands like your mama's hands.

thanks for sharing this on ss today.

Emily said...

Here via SS.

The photo of her hands is beautiful. Makes me want to grab my camera and go on a road trip to capture my mother's and my Grandmother's.

Darlene said...

What a sweet post - the words, the images. I love the hands, too, and wish my family lived closer than 3,000 miles away. My grandmother is nearing 100 and it would be so nice to capture images of her.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails