Monday, January 18, 2010

Of Course He Would Have A Cake

Almost every day, Ian asks us which holiday is next. Today I explained it was a holiday in honor of  Martin Luther King, Jr's birthday.  I explained civil rights in four year old terms. I showed him photos. I explained how different his world is because of Dr. King's work.

Ian then asked, "will he have a cake?" It's the same question he asks upon receiving any birthday party invitation. As we made the cake together, I knew exactly what my photo of the day would be.



50mm | ISO 640 | f/1.4 | ss1/320

Sprinkles delicately placed by a four year old hand. I think they are a bit symbolic.

***********************

I shot this will ALL lights off in my house. For candle photos I expose for the light around the flame, not the flame itself. Enough to illuminate the cake, but not blow out the detail of the flame.

In Lightroom I fiddled with Temperature, Exposure and Clarity a tiny bit, cropped it, upped my black a smidge to get rid of a reflection of the plate.

In Photoshop, I reduced noise a tiny bit and saved to jpeg.

7 comments:

Doris said...

So cool! Thanks for the explanation. Where did you put the focus on...I'm guess the candle. Am I right?

kim {the non-mom blogger} said...

You have some mad skills, Katrina!

Katrina Kennedy said...

Thanks Kimberly!

Doris, you are right. Exposed just to the side of it. focused on the the candle, right below the flame. Shot. Then checked my histogram.

Anonymous said...

I love Ians way of thinking,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the explanations of taking the photo as well as processing it. I need to give this a try.

humel said...

Just beautiful :-) I don't know enough about photography to understand how you got the shot but one day I will!

Doris said...

Thanks for the explanation...wonderful shot.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails