Thursday, January 28, 2010

Behind The Lens: Teri Argo

I'm always amazed by connections made via the internet. I'm amazed when someone you've never met feels like you've known them forever. Teri Argo is just that person for me! She is a talented photographer and a wonderful person. I hope to meet her soon! 


Teri took Your Life: Captured Through The Lens last year. I've admired her pages at DesignerDigitals for a long time. I love her family of horses and dogs. She captures them so beautifully!





What sparked your interest in photography?
The day the UPS man brought my Nikon D50 to my front door a whole new world opened up.  I picked it up out of the box and I haven't put it down yet. 




What camera do you use (okay, I know we know, but tell me more!)?
I use a Nikon D50, and feel like I am finally getting a handle on how it operates.  I also think I am getting close to an upgrade, but the D50 will always be close to my heart.  My lenses:  Nikon 50 mm 1.4 (my workhorse), Nikon 18-55 mm (kinda not working after my trip to the Grand Canyon last April), Nikon 70-300 mm, and a Promaster 100 mm 3.5 macro.

Taken for the Fill the Frame Lesson

What makes you happiest about your photography?
I love capturing the normal things around me in an unusual beautiful way.  I live in a very ordinary place.  The scenery isn't stunningly beautiful.  People will say "Wow, you live in such a beautiful place."  That makes me smile.

What have you learned that helped your photography most?
I can honestly say that learning how to shoot in manual has helped my photography the most.  The control it gives me is so creatively freeing.

Telling a story.   This was taken in Stehekin, a very remote community in Washington State.
These are the aprons from the kitchen at the ranch were were staying at.

What did you enjoy most about Your Life: Captured Through The Lens?
I enjoyed how you explained things and the assignments.  Your lesson on metering and exposure really helped me as I was learning to shoot in manual at the time.

Rule of thirds from your composition lesson

How has your photography changed since Your Life: Captured Through the Lens?
I shoot almost all of my shots on manual mode now.  I honestly really have to think about things when I put my camera on aperture or shutter priority and forget about program mode, I will have missed the shot by the time I remember how to do it. I am also using what I learned to mentor a high school senior with her senior project this year in photography.

This is one of my favorites I took during your class.  I was practicing continuous focus and negative space.
This image is also available in a great calendar Teri published!

What are your photography goals for 2010? or Any Projects for 2010?
I want to learn more about flash photography which means I need to get a speed light.  It all makes my head hurt a bit, but I find that I tend not take as many pictures if I need a flash and I don't like that.  So 2010 is going to be devoted to learning about the flash.......as soon as I figure out which one to buy.  I also am continuing on with Project 365 in 2010.  This year, I might give myself more challenges by only using one of my lenses all month, or only allowing myself one exposure for each day.

You can see more of Teri's amazing photos, including the beautiful place she lives at  on her blog or in her Flickr Photostream.

*************************

To help Teri out with her goal to learn flash photography, I'm providing her with a copy of my next tutorial, "Let There Be Light." It will be available at DesignerDigitals soon!

Have I helped you with a class, ebook, or tutorial? Would you like to be featured Behind The Lens? Send me an email at katrina at katrinakennedy dot com.

Registration for Your Life: Captured Through The Lens closes tomorrow, January 29.

4 comments:

Teri said...

Katrina, what an honor to have my photos on your blog. Thank you so much for sharing your gift of photography and inspiring me on a daily basis. I look forward to meeting you real soon!

Aino said...

This was so much fun to read!! :) Absolutely stunning photos, Teri!! You are, along with Katrina, such an inspiration.

Myra said...

I am a huge fan of Teri's photography!!! This was so much fun to read. She shoots with such heart. You can feel it in her photos. Another great pick Katrina!

mugsbigsis said...

I, too am a huge fan of Terri's photography. When I first became hooked on her work it was through DD pages. Then she was more exclusive to Flickr as she focused on her photography. Whenever I'm at that site I have to get my Terri fix. :O)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails